Social Icons

Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

My We Day Experience




 My overall impression of this great experience was life changing. The day before We Day, I got chosen to go because there was four more extra tickets. I didn't expect to get invited so late and last minute, but I was so thankful and happy. On the morning of We Day, I was so excited and already knew this was going to be a great and memorable day. When we arrived at the MTS Center, I still couldn't believe I was there. Seeing all the people with signs and shirts, it got me all excited. When we got to our seats, we were amazed of how close we were to the stage! We put down our stuff and got to look around to see what was there for us to buy, eat, see and do. We saw a lot of stands for shirts and a lot of stands for food. When my friends and I were looking around, we saw that Phoebe and Scott from Much Music was there to take pictures with and to sign autographs! My friends and I didn't hesitate to go in the line up. We were so happy. We also got some free stuff and some shirts from the stands. When the performance began, the first person we saw was Jesse Giddings! One of the hosts from Much Music Live. Selena and I were screaming our heads off. Selena was about the cry and that wasn't even the best part! There was so many great performances like, Shawn Desman, Tyler Shaw, Rob Nash, Allstar Weekend, LIGHTS, One Drop and many more. During the performances, they told us to take out a necklace in the bags placed on our seats. When we pulled out the tag of the necklace nothing happened, so we just went alone with it. But all of a sudden, the necklaces started to light up out of nowhere! It was so amazing and beautiful because it lit up all at the same time. All of the performances were fantastic and I loved them all, but the one that I liked the best was Tyler Shaw. His voice is so beautiful. It's amazing how talented he is at such a young age. And that his career if from joining a contest, pretty cool. There were many inspiring speakers also. Like, the makers of We Day Craig and Marc Kielburger, Spencer West, Molly Burke, Hannah Taylor, Mikhail Gorbachev, and other great speakers. But one of the speakers that inspired me the most was Spencer West. Spencer West is a man who had no legs ever since he was 5. When I saw him come up onto the stage, I started to tear up because I actually got to see him in person, hear his voice and experience his presence. Just seeing on him standing tall and proud on the stage made me realize that my problems, aren't really problems because things could be way much worse. When he told us the story about him climbing Mount Kilimanjaro to raise money for Free The Children's clean-water projects in Kenya, it lead me to tears. It's amazing how he was hurting so badly, but he still climbed. And how he kept encouraging his friends and kept repeating to himself to never give up. Spencer West have inspired me to make difference, taught me to never give up and that anyone is capable to make a change. I still can't believe I got to hear his story from his own voice and get to see him in person, it's really overwhelming. Another person who lead me to tears was Molly Burke. Her story was so amazing and strong. She told us that she got bullied quite a lot when she was 14. While she was telling us the story, she told us to stay silent for seven seconds and the lights turned off. All we could hear was her voice. She told us that this is all what she sees, 'darkness'. We didn't fully understand her until she said, 'I am blind' Gasps filled up the room. We did not see that coming. She even showed us her guide dog. After she left the stage, I was still so shocked. It is really amazing how strong she is. After hearing all their speeches have taught me that we can make and be the change and that we should be thankful for what we have. Hearing all their speeches have got inspired even more. I have a lot of people to look up to and a lot of people to learn from. Just because We Day is over, it doesn't and will not mean that I'm going to stop putting an effort to change the world. I will keep going like how Spencer West kept going to reach the top of Mount Kilimanjaro. My next step is participating in the project 'We Change' in November. And I hope a lot of people make an effort to participate also. "Don't wait for the change. BE the change." It was such an inspiring day and now I have something great to look back at.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment