1a) Ratio: A pair of numbers that compares with different kinds of units
1b) Rate: Compares two numbers, each measured in different units
1c) Proportion: A relationship that says that the ratio and rate are equal
1. 5 hours to travel 360 kilometers is about _____km/h. Answer, divide 360 by 5 and you get 72km/h
2. Emma saves 28 cents of every dollar that she earns. Emma earned $75 last week. How much money did Emma save last week? Answer, Multiply 28 cents x 100 cents = 2800 cents divided by 75 = 37.3 cents. Emma saved 37 dollars and 30 cents last week.
What are the three ways you can prove that equivalent ratio statements are true?
3/4 = 12/16, 4/9 = 16/32 1. Equivalent fractions 2. Cross Multiplication 3. Side Method
1. Does this seem fair? This is not fair.
2. With what you know about proportion look and read what is in the image above. Does it seem just and fair? No it is not fair.
3. Why have you made this choice? Because it's wrong to go to jail for 15 years just for stealing $100.
4. What would you have done if you were the judge? I was not going to send him to jail for 15 years.